Too much stuff!!!

    I was sitting in my writing chair today, oddly enough not writing at all but watching Hoarders. You've probably seen it.  They feature a couple of poor souls on the show whose "collecting" of items, be it trash, or dolls, or pop cans, has gotten way out of control, and exposed their dirty laundry, literally and figuratively on national television. 

     The same thing always happens they make lots of progress and then the patient, if you will goes into withdrawals and as a not so minor freak attack about the stuff that is leaving their domicile.  They get a therapist to run to their aid and help them work through whatever issue it is they are having and eurika 30 minutes later the show is over, they're left with a clean and sometimes very fixed up house, and aftercare funds to try and prevent the problem from returning. 

    Well I was watching and found myself being very judgmental...at first.  I was that is until I looked around my house at the number of books in my home. Oh how I do love books! I always have. I mean I even find I look at people who say, "I hate to read" and go WTF is wrong with you?!  Are you mental?!  I mean I get near books and my pulse increases, my saliva glands go into overdrive and I swear I can fly!!!!   So yes, I have a lot of books.  I do try to control my impulse to buy them but let me tell you there are times I have white knuckled the steering wheel just to not go into Barnes and Noble, or Gardner's Used books, or Goodwill even!  So I guess I can understand how it could lead to a problem.

I mean I can see it now.  How would I feel if in 20 years, when all of my littles are grown and gone.  I have to throw myself into something! ( I mean assuming I'm not more famous than J.K.Rowling by then)  I can see how since books bring me so much pleasure I could...could end up with no space in my house because I found happiness in these wonderful collections of worlds and words.  So, how would I feel if my kids came in with a tv crew, a phychiatrist , and cleaning crew and said....mom...enough!!!!! If you don't take your books we are!!!!    I'll tell you how I would feel...pretty pissed off and hurt. 

   I suppose what I am saying is this.  We are all just one freak out or tragedy away from being the very thing we watch on tv so maybe compassion, not heartless judgment is what we should dig up for these folks we watch for entertainment, or curiosity or whatever it is.  Food for thought.

  Now I bid you all a good weekend while I go declutter my closet and clean the kitchen.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bitches be stalking

Age, rules, and tattoos

The time is now