Tis the season!

   It is that time of year again!  No, not Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Christmas!  I am talking the event that all word smiths, tale spinners and wanna bes covet about all other times of the year.  NaNoWriMo, Nationl Novel Writing Month, that time when in the whole month of November participants make a commitment to reach 50 k words and write and entire novel by November's end, and in doing so you can proclaim to the world that you "won".

   This is a fabulous opportunity and can be very inspiring. It can also be maddening and frustrating if you focus too much energy on reaching your word count.  My first time out I became very frustrated and very depressed that I was not up to par with my daily word count and by NaNo's closing day had only written 32 K words.   I was so sad I could not shout about winning!  That is until my other half pointed out that I was not seeing the fact that I had written over 30 THOUSAND WORDS IN A MONTH!!!!   I sat and thought about it for a minute and figured out that he was very, very, right. I had written an amazing amount of story in a short amount of time. Especially considering that I have a small clan running around my house depending on me every day to be at their beck and call.  ( ok well maybe just their call)  I mean I did something very productive..and I took that productivity to many writing critique groups and got amazing feedback and positive comments on said compilation.   So I gotta say, I did win in a big, big way.  I also gained a lot of confidence in myself.

    So by all means do the NaNo and do it wholeheartedly, but don't be down because your fellow authors are blowing past you in word counts.  Just do what you can.  Do a little every day.  Even one word written is better than say , oh I don't know...zero words written.


    Good luck and happy writing. ( and when you are published and so very famous that you are having dinner with the heavy hitters in author land...Id love to be your plus one. )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bitches be stalking

The time is now

Age, rules, and tattoos